CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 10, 2008

I baked it myself!!

Well, I may have found a new passion! This past weekend, I was invited to a baby shower for a co-worker of mine. I was having trouble buying a gift because this couple has decided not to find out the sex of their baby.... yeah, they want to be surprised. Not to judge, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Don't you want to be able to register for gender specific things? I mean, there is pretty much only one color to buy someone who does this, and that's yellow. And my God, how much yellow do you really want in your home? Oh well... I have gotten off track. So as I was struggling with what to buy, I remember hearing about something called a Diaper Cake. It is a relatively new concept and they are really cute if you've seen one. I called the hostesses to see if they were going to get the mommy-to-be one, and they said they weren't. Then I started to scour the internet to see what I could come up, and how exactly to make one. I was able to find very detailed instructions, so I set off to the store for supplies. I got some cute ribbons, silk flowers and some other cute accessories and went home to get started. Well, I worked my little heart out and finally finished. I think it turned out ok, and when I went to the shower, everyone was really impressed! I was so excited!! Anyway, I am including a few pictures of the cake, so please let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Tigriswillreign said...

I'm checking this out from Heather's blog and your diaper cakes are really impressive! I'd never heard of one until tonight and guess what? I'm throwing a baby shower this Friday night! Perhaps I'll attempt one of these babies... Any pointers? As Heather also proclaimed, I'm not a crafty person...

Sharon said...

Yes, use lots of those small rubber bands and double sided tape! I do mine a little differently.. I unfold the diaper and then roll it tightly and put a rubber band around it. I also use a toilet paper roll to position the diapers around. After I get the first inner layer, I put a rubber band around all of them. (There are 5 diapers.) Then you make 2 more layers out (3 total)Then you put a pretty ribbon around it to cover the rubber bands. Then the second layer, you just take off the 3rd outer ring and on the top level, you have just the 5 diapers around the toilet paper roll. I use lots of 3D scrapbooking stickers and ribbons to jazz it up. It's lots of fun! I also add artificial flowers for a really gorgeous look. Let me know if this helps and if you need any help, you can certainly email me at sharongraf@gmail.com
Hope this helps!

~ April ~ EnchantedDandelions said...

This is an older post, but those are just lovely! The scrapbooking embellishments look great, and what a neat idea adding an initial letter to the top!

I'm hoping to start making cloth diaper cakes soon, and I'm very excited about it! :)