CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 16, 2009

Let the fun times roll!

So last night we set up Makayla's big girl bed and got her some Princess sheets and made it so irresistible, that I even wanted to sleep there! Apparently to Makayla, it was the bed of Satan. We put her down and for 2 hours it was non-stop getting up to put her back into bed or telling her to stop playing, etc. She did eventually go to sleep, but it was WAY past her bedtime. Then this morning, I wake up to her standing next to my bed, which was cute and she climbed up and we had some cuddle time. She then informed me that she had pooped, so we went to her room to get her changed. I noticed that one of her bears was in the bathroom and when I walked in there, she had apparently gotten into some of my eye cream and squirted it all over the place. (Big sigh) I asked her why she did that and got the typical, "I don't know."
Well, after playing around the house and eating lunch, it was time for a nap. I was really looking forward to this! (Did you catch my sarcasm, cuz I was laying it on pretty thick...) For yet another 2 hours, it was a battle of getting her back in bed, stop playing with everything in her room, etc. I'm not gonna lie, there were some spankings involved. Finally she went to sleep. Seriously?! Does this happen with all kids? This is so frustrating! I thought she would be excited about getting into a big girl bed! Is it the freedom that is so tempting? The ability to get up and actually be able to get out of bed?? I need some suggestions friends! Please send over some of your best tips on how to get a toddler to stay in their bed! And don't worry, I have already put one of those door cover things on the door so she can't get out! And we also don't have any toys in there, just some books. I need some advice before I lose my mind! Thank goodness it's Spring Break!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi Sweetie. I am SO NOT looking forward to that. We are right around the corner for the toddler bed. Yuck. My kid still can't sleep without his bumpers...I'm tying them back and revealing the crib slats, one side at a time. I will say that my friends who have gone through this have said the same thing you're saying. It's just too dang tempting to be able to get out of bed!

Crystal Renee said...

Hello, I am a new "stalker" lol to your blog. But I read this and thought I would share some insight as to how WE do it. My oldest is 7 about to be 8, and honestly with her being the first, she was more prone to "end up" in bed with mommy and daddy. However, the steps we took was obviously setting a ritual. We put her to bed the same time every nite, we read a book, we tucked her in, and then praised on how much fun it is to be a "big girl" now. That she didn't have to sleep in the crib and that she is getting so biiiiig. That really helped, the reading did too, as most of the time, once we were done reading, she normally was out of it. In the mornings, she knew to wake mommy and daddy. There was some times that we woke with stuff EVERYWHERE. My girl products, makeup, brushes and hairbows everywhere, even had my whole can of mousse in one of her baby dolls hair. It was hilarious but I still know that we had to do something. Another thing we tried with the twins was at first letting them fall asleep on their own, wherever they were, cause they went to bed early and then placing them in their bed. We had to put them back in bed over and over, until finally they realize, hey they aren't letting up and I am a big kid now and this is where I am supposed to sleep. We referenced our bed a lot to all three letting them know that we sleep in a big bed and now it's their turn. A night lite always works, soft music, and maybe a little television if you allow that. Something so they know it's ok. They hear stuff in the background and it seems normal while they are sleeping there. But honey, its a task, you just have to be persistant and show her that this is now her bed and that it will be and your not budging. Keep us informed on how it's going!!

Crystal

Kirsten Oliphant said...

You make me laugh!! We are not there, obviously, and still battling through the whole idea of bedtime. Sigh. I hope she gets used to it. Pass on wisdom you learn to me later on, okay? Hope to be back in our house this weekend so we can be naighbors again...