CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

The Downside of Pregnancy

Well, I was lucky the first time I was pregnant that I didn't have people make comments about how I looked. However, I have a few friends (names protected for the innocent!) that have unfortunately been the brunt of some peoples lack of common sense gene. One friend recalled a woman asking her how far along she was and when she replied 7 1/2 months, the lady's jaw dropped and she actually told my friend to her face that she looked like she was about to pop any second!! As if that wasn't bad enough, the lady then asked what the gender was and when told a "little girl" she said, Oh honey, she isn't going to be little!! My friend had to walk away before inflicting bodily harm...
Why do people feel it's ok to just say things like this to pregnant women?? Seriously?! Another friend of a friend was told by her co-worker that pregnant women tend to get ugly towards the end and that she would tell this girl when that happened..... Yeah, I'll pause for you to think about that for a second. This pregnancy however is apparently non-exist because just today I had 3 people act shocked when I started talking about Jackson kicking me. They all said, "Oh, we had no idea you were pregnant!" Are you kidding me? What do you think this huge bump is exactly, a tumor?!?! So I am getting the opposite end of the spectrum here.. oh well.
I just don't understand what exactly these people are trying to accomplish by telling a pregnant person that they look "huge". Would you want someone telling you that? It's not like we are super comfortable with our bodies anyway, so let's just add insult to injury there. Oh, and another favorite is when asked if having twins and when the answer is no, they ask "Are you sure?" No, I was just taking a stab in the dark there.... my medically trained DR. has no idea what he/she is doing. I mean come on!!
So word to all those out there who know a pregnant person, please be kind. It's always a good thought to use the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. So another words, THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK and think if you wanted to hear that said to you!! If not, then shut it!! Thanks, I really am only trying to spare your life people...

1 comments:

Kirsten Oliphant said...

Yeah, you know I'm dealing with this! Whatever spectrum you're getting, people tend to say the craziest and rudest things when you're pregnant. I had a brief break where people left me alone, and now the comments have returned, full force! My favorite is when they say things that are just explicitly mean, like, "You're huge!" or "You get really big when you're pregnant." What could they possibly think makes those kinds of statements okay? Ug!